- Ph.D., Biological Systems Engineering, Washington State University, 2017
- Ph.D., Seafood Science and Technology, Tarbiat Modares University, 2010
- M.S., Aquaculture-Seafood Science and Technology, Tarbiat Modares University, 2006
- B.S., Aquaculture, Gorgan University, 2004
- August 2018-Present: Assistant Professor, Seafood AREC/Department of Food Science and Technology, Virginia Tech University
- 2017-2018: Research Associate, Department of Food Science and Technology, UC Davis, Davis, CA. (Dr. Nitin’s Lab)
- 2015-2016: Processing and R&D Manager, Sterling Caviar (Stolt Sea Farm), Sacramento, CA
- 2011-2015: Research Associate, Department of Food Science, Washington State University, Pullman, WA. (Dr. Rasco’s Lab)
- 2009-2011: Caspian Biotech Co. CEO and Co-Founder
- 2007-2011: Assistant Professor, Department of Seafood Science and Technology, Gorgan Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources University
My research focuses on food and seafood safety, quality and value added products by applying engineering and novel technologies in the following areas:
- Developing bio-products from seafood by-products and underutilized species
- Improving food and seafood quality and safety by developing novel bio-based sanitizers
- Applying novel sanitizers including electrolyzed water for live shellfish sanitation
- Rapid detection techniques for foodborne pathogens and chemical residues
- Vibrational spectroscopy and chemometric
- Developing non-living edible surrogates for process validation in food industry
My main goal is developing an extension program for identifying the science gaps in the industry, conducting the applied research, and translating the research into a simple language making it possible to transfer it easily to industry end users by face to face meetings, workshops, social media, factsheets, outreach articles etc. This will make a trusted bridge with industry and society by providing useful accurate information. I believe in order to have a successful program, collaboration with people in different area of expertise is crucial. I have been working with several startup companies, by conducting research, outreach, fund raising and marketing for novel products, and new technologies application in food safety.
M. Ovissipour, R. Rai, N. Nitin. (2019). DNA-Based Surrogate Indicator for Sanitation Verification and Predicting Inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 using Vibrational Spectroscopy (FTIR). Food Control. In Press.
J. Wang, J. Tang, B. Rasco, S. Sablani, M. Ovissipour, Z. Qu. (2018). Kinetics of Quality Changes of Shrimp (Litopenaeus setiferus) During Thermal Pasteurization. Submitted.
M. Ovissipour*, S.G. Shiroodi, S. Sablani, J. Tang, B. Rasco. (2018). The effect of acidic and neutral electrolyzed water solutions in combination with mild thermal processing on Listeria monocytogenes inactivation in Atlantic salmon (Salmo Salar) fillet. Under Review.
M. Ovissipour*, B. Rasco, J. Tang, S. Sablani. (2017). The kinetic of quality degradation during the pasteurization of Atlantic salmon. Food and Bioprocess Technology.
M. Ovissipour*, C. Liu, G. Unlu, S. Sablani, J. Tang, B. Rasco. (2017). A kinetic study protein denaturation temperature in pasteurized salmon roe (Oncorhynchus keta) at different water phase salt activities. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology.
H.M. Al-Qadiri, M. Al-Holy, S.G. Shiroodi, M. Ovissipour*, S. Sablani, B. Govindan, N.A. Alami, B. Rasco. (2016). Effect of acidic electrolyzed water-induced bacterial inhibition and injury in live clam (Venerupis philippinarum) and mussel (Mytilus edulis). International Journal of Food Microbiology, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2016.05.012.
H.M. Al-Qadiri, M. Ovissipour, S.G. Shiroodi, B. Govindan, N.A. Alami, B. Rasco. (2016). Efficacy of Neutral Electrolyzed Water, Quaternary Ammonium and Lactic Acid- Based Solutions in Controlling Microbial Contamination of Food Cutting Boards Using a Manual Spraying Technique. Journal of Food Science, DOI: 10.1111/1750-3841.13275.
K. Bhunia, M. Ovissipour, B. Rasco, J. Tang, S. Sablani. (2016). Oxidation-reduction potential and lipid oxidation in ready-to-eat blue mussels in red sauce: Criteria for Package Design. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, DOI: 10.1002/jsfa.7738.
S.G. Shiroodi, S. Nesaei, M. Ovissipour*, H.M. Al-Qadiri, B. Rasco, S. Sablani. (2016). Biodegradable Polymeric Films Incorporated with Nisin: Characterization and Efficiency against Listeria monocytogenes. Food and Bioprocess Technology, DOI: 10.1007/s11947-016-1684-3.
S.G. Shiroodi, M. Ovissipour*, C.F. Ross, B. Rasco. Efficacy of electrolyzed oxidizing water as a pretreatment method for reducing Listeria monocytogenes contamination in cold-smoked Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). (2016). Food Control, 60, 401-407.
M. Ovissipour*, H.M. Al-Qadiri, X. Lu, Y. Hu., C.F. Ross, J.P. Van Eenennaam, S.I. Doroshov. (2016). The effect of white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus) ovarian fat deposition on caviar yield and nutritional quality: introducing image processing method for sturgeon ovary fat determination. International Aquatic Research, DOI 10.1007/s40071-015-0111-0.
M. Ovissipour, H. Al-Qadiri, S. Sablani, B. Govindan, N. Al-Alami, B. Rasco. (2015). Application of electrolyzed water for inactivating the foodborne pathogens. Food Control, 53, 117-123.
H. Al-Qadiri, S. Sablani, M. Ovissipour, N. Al-Alami, B. Govindan, B. Rasco. (2015). Study the effect of oxygen stress on the survival and growth of Clostridium perfringens, Campylobacter jejuni, and Listeria monocytogenes under different storage conditions. Journal of Food Protection. 78(4):691-697.
B. Rasco, K. Down, M. Ovissipour*. (2015). Humane harvesting initiative: The influence of harvest and post-harvest handling practices on fish welfare and product quality. Journal of Aquaculture Research and Development. 6, 1. Editorial Note.
M. Ovissipour, B. Rasco. (2015). Electrolyzed water application in aquaculture and the seafood industry. Journal of Aquaculture Research and Development. Editorial Note.
A. K. Baker, B. Vixie, B. Rasco, M. Ovissipour, C. Ross. (2014). Development of a lexicon caviar and its usefulness for determining consumer preference. Journal of Food Science. DOI: 10.1111/1750-3841.12703.
M. Ovissipour, B. Rasco. (2014). Fish Oil: Perspectives on a Sustainable Multi-Use Resource. Journal of Fisheries and Livestock Production. Editorial Note.
18- M. Ovissipour*, A. M. Abedian, R. M. Nazari, A. Motamedzadegan, B. Rasco. (2014). Tuna viscera protein hydrolysate: nutritive and disease resistance properties for Persian sturgeon (Acipenser persicus L.) larvae. Aquaculture Research. 45: 591-601.